Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Official Singapore Star Wars POTF2 Launch. Takashimaya 17th -21st November 1995


Just thought of sharing this. I remember back then how excited I was reading an article in Tomarts that Kenner (even tho they were already bought over by Tonka then Hasbro) was making Star Wars toys again.  The only way we could get them at that time was to order it at local Comic shops here through "Previews" (Diamond Previews). After nearly a year I saw an ad in the paper regarding the launch & I went crazy. I even took time off away from work to be there on the first day. To my surprise there was'nt even a crowd there & then I realised that Star Wars was not as hot as Batman back in the early 90s. Went there with a couple of frens (Akai & Hussein of 4-SIDES) & we could actually take our own sweet time to checkout the stuff there. There was a presentation where Takashimaya flew in 2 original Stormtrooper costumes & they would re-create a scene, that too did'nt gather a crowd (trust me,that was considered a big deal for us Star Wars fans back then). They had an on the spot contest where U could win a $100 voucher each & we took advantage of it since no one really knows the basic questions about Star Wars to win the prize. I was actually asked "who is the villain in black in Star Wars?" hahaha. I guess U know the story by now. We ended with $300 vouchers & spend it all there the same day. Best of all I scored a Mexican box Tie-Fighter & 2 Boba Fett errors. One without painted gloves,the other figure & bubble was placed exactly in the middle of the card.


*Most probably the first pic taken with a Stormtrooper 
(my kid brother did got a picture taken with a Stormtrooper at the old Metro Beach Rd in 1977 when he was 5 )



answering the $100 question :)




curious buyers




View from the top, practically a ghost town :) 



One of the most memorable day in my collecting years, reason is, after the special edition movie came out & the craze started a year later,things got crazy & out of hand. There was another Star Wars promotion there & ppl actually fought to get the figures. I remember some guys got pushed & in turn knocked the display units which fell like dominoes. Alot of figures got crushed. We'll we're all guilty of being crazy when it come to toys ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment